Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Death Warmed Over

These past few days I've felt like death warmed over. It started Saturday when I had a minor scratchy throat. Sunday, I awoke and it had gotten worse. Monday it moved from my throat to my sinuses. Yesterday I felt like death. I had originally thought it was just my seasonal allergies acting up. But, the pollen count has been pretty low these past few days...according to my handy-dandy iPhone app - Zyrtec AllergyCast. So, I thought that maybe it was a cold I had picked up from some coworkers. I haven't felt this bad in years. How much snot can one person produce?

Since our family doctor retired last month, Linda & I are inbetween doctors and haven't found a general family practitioner yet. My symptoms didn't warrant a visit to the ER, and I didn't want to go to the Urgent Care at Walgreens, so I toughed it out...with the help of Tylenol Cold, some Vicks VapoRub, some Cold-Eeze zinc lozenges and loads of vitamin C. This morning I woke up feeling better and on the road to recovery. Weird thing was I wasn't running a fever...so who knows what it was? I hate being sick. And I'm not a baby when I'm sick...but man did I feel like hell. On top of not feeling good, yesterday morning I was laying in bed and felt a good stretch coming on. And, man was it a great stretch. In all my exertion and when I was arching my back, I felt a crunch and heard a snap in my neck...and then this excruciating pain permeate through my neck and shoulders. How does that happen?? Even larger doses of Tylenol have numbed that pain, but I have a hard time moving my head from side-to-side. At the moment, I feel like that girl from "Sixteen Candles" with the back brace who can't move her neck.

My question is...how do parents do this?? This time next year, Nugg will be about 6 months old and, if I have a repeat of this - whether it was a cold or allergies rearing it's ugly head - how am I gonna take care of a baby?? And not get the baby sick?

No comments:

Post a Comment