Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Another Week Under Way

So we are in the midst of another week! Sunday marked our 9th week of pregnancy! I think the thing I hate the most is the fact I can't see any changes as of yet; besides the occasional nauseous moment or lower back pain Linda experiences. Other than those, I wouldn't have any idea that she was pregnant. I'm a very tangible, visual person and I hate waiting. I want to know that McNugget is okay. I worry endlessly and I keep saying a prayer that all is okay. I'm sure it is...but not being able to see much going on gets me anxious from time-to-time.

I've taken comfort in reading posts on babycenter.com from other expectant parents...mostly moms-to-be. One had an article posted that put some of my fears to rest, specifically, "If you can see the baby's heart beating on the sonogram after 7 weeks, your chances of continuing with the pregnancy are greater than 97 percent." Which we did - our first sonogram was when McNugget was measuring 7 weeks 5 days. I have to keep reminding myself that all is probably okay and McNugget will be here before we know it.

Anyhow, this week, McNugget is about the size of a grape and would weigh about a fraction of an ounce! They are starting to look more and more human as the days go by and not so much like an alien creature. All essential body parts are accounted for, but they will be fine-tuning over the next few months. McNugget's heart has finished dividing into four chambers and the heart valves have started to form. Tiny teeth buds are under their gum line. The tiny embryonic tail should have disappeared by now. McNugget's organs, muscles and nerves are starting to kick into gear as well! Genitalia has formed, but it's still too early to see the gender. The eyes are fully formed but the eyelids are sealed shut until about the 27th week. McNugget has tiny earlobes, and their mouth, nose and nostrils are more distinct. The placenta has developed enough now to take over the most critical job of producing hormones. Now McNugget's basic body physiology is in place, their tiny body is poised for rapid weight gain and fine tuning!

Keep us in your prayers that all continues to go well for us!

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry about not seeing any visual changes....those won't come for quite some time!! Everything is perfect and I can't wait to meet little Lea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very true... I just wish we could have an ultrasound every day - just to make sure things are good! I know Linda probably wouldn't enjoy that as much - since the first ultrasound was a bit intrusive.

    ReplyDelete