Monday, September 21, 2009

12 down. 28 to go.

Hard to believe that we are 12 weeks pregnant! I thought this marked the end of the first trimester, however, I've learned that the 1st trimester is actually longer, gestationally speaking. We actually won't enter the 2nd trimester until the 14th week. So just a few more to go... I've noticed that my fears of miscarriage subside with each week that passes. I still pray everyday though that all is going well. I'm a tangible person, and not seeing the changes going on inside the womb or directly feel the transformation happening makes me worry to no end!

I did notice though, that Linda does have the slightest little baby bump forming. It's still hard to see. Linda mentioned the other day that her jeans that were always loose and baggy on her, are now tight. She also said that she noticed that her stomach is a lot more tighter... So her body is changing.

Yesterday, Linda & I rang in the season home opener of the Kansas City Chiefs with her sister, brother-in-law, brother and sister-in-law. We all went in last spring and bought season tickets. The Chiefs had them on sale at rock bottom prices... We had never held season tickets before. Upon doing the math, the price we'll pay for parking the whole season is about the same at the tickets themselves! Our seats are way up in the upper tier. I counted my steps up to where our seats were...and it's about the equivalent of climbing a ten story building! I wonder how that's gonna go when Linda is 5 and 6 months along...

Of course, one of the traditions with football games, and more so at Arrowhead Stadium, is tailgating. Grilling, barbecue and beer... Minus the beer for Linda. Linda's family told me to take advantage of this time, claiming I have a designated driver until April...they are on the mindset for me to drink myself into an oblivion at every opportunity... My party days have past me, and out of compassion for Linda, I probably won't be doing that. It didn't stop Noreen & Anthony trying...and had me shotgun a few beers with them. I played along, but paced myself and stopped drinking when the game started. Linda likes to have a good time and really only drinks socially...so I know refraining from beer at Chiefs games will be a difficult task for her.

Twenty-eight more weeks to go! Seems unfathomable and I just wish April would hurry up and get here! This weeks most dramatic development is reflexes. Nugg's fingers are now opening and closing, toes are curling, eyelids are clinching and the mouth is making sucking movements. If Linda would poke her abdomen, Nugg will squirm in response. However, it's still too early for Linda to feel those movements. All the plumbing is there and beginning to function! Nugg's intestines, which went through a rapid growth period and protruded into the umbilical cord, will start to move back into the abdominal cavity this week. Also the kidneys will begin to excrete urine into the bladder.

Nugg's nerve cells are continuing to multiply rapidly. In the brain, synapses are forming furiously. If we could see Nugg's face, there is no doubt they would look more human than ever before. Nugg's eyes have moved from the side of the head to the front, and the ears have moved to the sides of the head now as well. From crown-to-rump, Nugg should be about 2 inches long...which is more about the size of a lime and weighs half an ounce!

Only sevenish more months to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment