Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Reality Sets In

I have now had 24-hours to let this sink in. I showed my husband the test results last night and then we had to go to a family dinner. When we came home, I went to bed. Today is the day I have to deal with this.

I called the doctor's office and I am scheduled for my first sonogram and exam on Friday, Aug. 21. They said they like to wait until 7-10 weeks along. I think it is because they want something to show up on that first sonogram.

So that is set. Now for 5 million other things I need to address. Like, when is the appropriate time to notify work? Do you have to notify work? I'm sure they will figure it out here in the next few months, but I don't know if there is some sort of precedent for this. Where do you get maternity clothes? Are they expensive? We need to do something with the guest room. We need to move the cat out of the guest room. We need to move the cat out of our home if he can't figure out how to use the litter box instead of going beside it.

Then came the really big reality check. I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BABIES! I don't even know how to change a diaper for crying out loud. How am I suppose to do this?

When I finished working for the day, my husband started asking me a million questions. When should I start taking prenatal vitamins? Did you know that a 4 weeks the baby is the size of a pin head and has a spinal cord? How are you feeling what's on your mind? That's when I really started to freak out on him and feel overwhelmed.
I broke the vow of silence just 24-hours in and told a good friend of mine the news. She somehow managed to calm me down. She was always the rational and practical one. After a few deep breathes, I realize that I am going to have to completely avoid all family and friends for awhile if we are to keep this news to ourselves. Everyone drinks in our families and expects you to drink with them. I managed to survive the family dinner on Monday okay without having anything to drink, but what am I going to tell them on Thursday?

No comments:

Post a Comment