Friday, August 7, 2009

Pretty Cool Night

I'd be lying if I didn't admit to feeling overwhelmed and in a complete haze all week. I really wasn't prepared to become a "mom-to-be" overnight and am still very anxious at the thought of being a mom in roughly 8 months.

When we found out on Monday, we agreed not to tell anyone until at least the first doctor's appointment but preferred to wait until we were close to completing the first trimester. We've had so many friends and family members endure miscarriages we thought that maybe it would be a good idea to not put our family through that.

Then again, we are terrible at waiting to surprise people. My husband and I have to wait until the last minute to buy each other birthday or Christmas presents because we can't wait to surprise the other with it. I think the longest hold-out I've had is 24-hours in waiting to give my husband his birthday or Christmas present from time of purchase or delivery.

He's even worse.

On top of our complete inability to keep surprises to ourselves, we were dead on accurate on the prediction that people would notice me not enjoying at least one glass of wine or beer during family events. Neither myself nor my husband drink all that much, its just what our families do at events.
One side of my husband's family had a get together last night. Some cousins were in from out of town and it would probably be the last time nearly everyone would be together until next year. Plus, this side of the family represents first-time grandparents, whereas his dad and my parents are already grandparents.

As expected, people were asking why I wasn't drinking. "I don't drink during the week," I replied once. "I'm really tired (which was true) and that will just put me to sleep," I replied another time. Finally, we caved.

When grandpa-to-be said he was going to go get a cigar out of his truck, my husband asked if he had an extra one. Grandpa-to-be asked what the occasion was and hubby said "because you're going to be grandparents."

Silence.

Then it sunk in and everyone screamed in excitement.

Nana-to-be (Grandma is not a preferred term) started crying and bouncing up and down in her seat. Everyone started hugging us. It was overwhelming, but in a good way. It made me realize that my husband and I aren't alone in this and at some point everyone there was probably freaked out first-time parents to be as well. I don't think I ever really thought we were alone in this, but somehow announcing our news just gave me some reassurance and I definitely feel better.

Planning how we are going to tell the rest of the family is kind of fun too. Since my family has been real PITA (pain in the a**es) about when we were going to have kids, I figured I will wait for them to bring it up again and just give them the due date.

For my husband's dad, he wants to get our dog a shirt that says "future big brother" and then see if he notices.

We can have a LOT of fun with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment