Monday, August 17, 2009

My poor wife...

So it appears that the morning sickness has caught up with my wife. I thought she was gonna get off pretty easy, for the most part, as she has only gotten just a few minor waves of nausea. But that changed this weekend. As I mentioned, Saturday we were over at her folks all day. After we got home and were laying in bed, she shot straight up and ran to the bathroom to puke her guts out. It didn't sound pretty at all, the retching and gagging...but then again, when does someone barfing sound pleasant? She was in there a while and I checked on her. She said she was fine and said that she won't be eating chips and salsa again for a while. We'll see how that goes. That woman could live off chips and salsa. I think she could probably just drink salsa straight out of the jar. Yesterday morning, she still felt a bit nauseated but she overcame that and was feeling better by the afternoon. However, she's just been extremely tired and fatigued, which is a common symptom of pregnancy.

So this week marks our 7th week of pregnancy. I am still constantly on the internet researching what to expect. I get email updates from BabyCenter.com every week now that lets us know what's going on inside the womb. I find these absolutely amazing and a huge resource. This week, one of the biggest developments is the baby is growing their hands and feet. They look more like paddles at this point though. Right now the baby has a tail, which is an extension of their tailbone and will soon disappear over the next couple of weeks. The baby has doubled in size since last week and is now the size of a blueberry, or about a 1/2 inch long.

Eyelid folds are partially covering their eyes. The iris already has some pigmentation, but it's probably too early to tell what their eye color would be. However, since my wife and I have dark brown eyes, chances are the baby will too. But there could be a slight chance they could be blue or green, since her mom has green eyes and her dad has blue. In my research of genealogy I found out that my ancestors, as far back as my great-great-great grandfather and subsequent great-great grandfather, great grandfather and grandfather, were noted as having crystal blue eyes. I have a picture of my great-great-great grandfather from way back in the 1800s and you can see in that photo just how blue his eyes were. I know it's only a cosmetic feature, but I'm hoping that the baby inherits that gene...and not the shit brown color I've got!

The tip of the baby's nose has also formed and tiny veins are visible through their parchment-thin skin. Both hemispheres of the baby's brain are continuing to grow. Their liver is producing and churning out red blood cells until their bone marrow can take over this task. The baby has an appendix and pancreas now, which will eventually produce their insulin to aid in digestion. There is also a loop in the baby's intestine that bulges now into their umbilical cord, which now has distinct blood vessels to carry oxygen and nutrients to and from their tiny body.

Fascinating!

No comments:

Post a Comment