Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Happy Birthday! (To My Wife)

When Linda took the pregnancy test and it came out positive...and after our initial shock of realizing we both were gonna be responsible for this little life for the rest of ours...we calculated the due date. We realized that Linda could have Evan on her birthday...which is today. Early on Linda claimed that any day was fine with her, except her birthday. She didn't want to experience the pain of labor or share her birthday. Now that that time has come...and she's ready for Evan to dislodge from the womb, she doesn't care anymore and today is fine.

Linda had felt some contractions all day yesterday, and those kept us up for the better part of the night...therefore she took the day off work... But it doesn't appear that they are amounting to much...and Evan is still staying put for the moment.

Since Linda is sneaky...and well, pretty much the accountant of the family and watches the bank account like a hawk, I did all my birthday shopping for her yesterday. She's been known to scrutinize my Starbucks purchases within the same afternoon that I buy the latté in question. Add that with what Linda mentioned early on in this blog of our inability to keep things a surprise...therefore we always do our birthday and Christmas shopping for each other at the last minute. For example, when the iPhone debuted back in 2007, Linda bought this for me for a birthday present...in August...my birthday is in December. I got my birthday present 4 months early that year. So, as you can see, we have problems keeping things a surprise...

Anyhow, last night when Linda came home from work...she asked me what I had done with my day...besides my dentist appointment. I told her that I had gotten her her birthday presents. Plural...presentsssss. My mistake...and she picked up on it. "PresentSSS?", she inquired. Ooops. So, she got her gifts a day early. I had gotten her what she had been hinting around for the past few months...a remote car starter... And the sentimental side of me thought of an engraved locket to keep a picture of Evan and her (or all of us as she said) together...etched with "Always in my heart" on the back... Then to top things off, I had called to get flowers delivered to her work...and arranged for a bouquet of her favorites...daisies to be delivered today.

This morning, I peeled my eyes open and looked at the clock...it was 7:30am....and I noticed Linda was still in bed. She's usually walking out the door about that time. So, she explained that she had felt contractions last night too and to be safe wanted to stay close to home and monitor...(but again, it doesn't look like they are amounting to anything...still somewhat sporadic.) So, I had to call the florist to get them to change the address to deliver here. Linda now wants to take a walk around the neighborhood with Truman to see if that will help coax Evan along...so now that last birthday surprise is no longer a surprise either. She knows now that we need to stay near home til they deliver the flowers. Oh well!

We still have about 12 more hours left in today, maybe a walk will help Evan get here today?

No comments:

Post a Comment