Monday, March 29, 2010

Waiting...still waiting...

Yep. We are still waiting with much anticipation for Evan's arrival. I kinda feel like I'm back in grade school again. The anticipation I feel is like I've been transported back to 1986; 4th grade; Mrs. Cook's classroom; to the egg incubator. I haven't thought about this memory in years! Funny what having a baby does...it drums up some of the most random and oldest memories... Anyway, for some sort of science experiment my school got an egg incubator and maybe a dozen eggs or maybe there was one egg for every child in class? I remember feeling the anticipation and wonder waiting for my egg to hatch. I remember coming into class every morning and going over to watch my egg, wondering when my baby chick would appear. Then I remember the day when the eggs started moving. We all stopped our lessons, and rushed over to the incubator to watch in sheer awe. I remember seeing one egg after another start to jolt and jitter to life. Then, you would see one egg start to crack ever so slightly... Then the whole thing would bust open...and this strange looking creature that didn't really resemble the fuzzy baby chick you expect to see...but instead this slimy-creature-with-matted-feathers-weird-bird-thing emerged... I remember thinking it looked more like a dinosaur, like a pterodactyl rather than a chicken. But I remember being awestruck witnessing this whole thing. What 10 year old wouldn't be? Hell, I bet I'd still be awestruck by that...

I can only imagine how I'll be in the delivery room...when I first see Evan...when I hear his cry for the first time... I can't wait! And I'm filled with that same wonder, excitement and anticipation as I was in the 4th grade. Any day now...

At the last doctors appointment on Friday, it didn't appear that any more progress had been made towards active labor. Our OB said that if Evan isn't here by April 7th...3 days after the due date...then she will begin to think about induction. She said with first-time-moms, induction can be a bit tough...and intense labor can last a few days, rather than a few hours. But this procedure isn't off the table. Our OB just had her son back in December and she said that she knows how it feels to be 41 weeks pregnant...and she won't put Linda through that. I'm hoping that Evan will come anytime now...on his own... Sooner, rather than later...for Linda's sake. Everything is ready for him here. We've pretty much tied up all the loose ends... We just got him a really cool swing on Saturday...which I spent the afternoon putting together.


Here we are, 39 weeks pregnant...only 6 more days til April 4th, which is our original due date. Much to Linda's frustration, Evan doesn't appear like he's in any rush to get here. In fact, she thinks he's trying to move in the opposite direction. Last night she said it felt like he was sitting up in her ribs again...where he spent the better part of the 2nd trimester. All he's doing now in the womb is putting on more weight and gaining another layer of fat, which will help him control his body temperature after birth. He should measure about 20 inches in length, and weighs about 7 lbs., about the size of a mini watermelon. His outer layers of skin are now sloughing off as new skin forms underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment