Thursday, December 17, 2009

Am I really THAT old?

Since the last time I posted on here, I've aged a whole year! I enjoyed being 33. I hated to see 34 come. I used to love my birthdays...they were an occasion to celebrate. But now, with each year that passes means more aches and pains, the ever sprouting gray hairs and receding hair line. I wonder...am I too old for this? The Five For Fighting song "100 Years" has been running through my head and has been in heavy rotation on my iPod since we found out Nugg was on his way, and seems appropriate for the moment, especially the line "I'm 33 for a moment...a kid on the way, babe, a family on my mind."


One of my friends on facebook wrote on my wall for my birthday, "Happiest of birthdays to you, father-to-be. Just think this is your last birthday as a married man with no kids. After today your gifts from your child will consist of sticky kisses and ugly ties. I know you look forward to it." I am excited to get those gifts from Nugg though. Although I'm not a tie-wearing sort of guy...I'm sure Linda will help him think of some other crazy gift! But Linda does a good job coming up with gift ideas for me. She got me a Magic Mouse, since our old mouse has been crapping out on us...and she renewed my subscription to Ancestry.com. Yes, I am a geek! Don't judge!

But it was a good birthday. I got to spend it with those that are most important to me. My two families...dinner one night at Tasso's Greek Restaurant. I'd never been there, but had always heard it was a great place. And it was! Great food, belly dancers, and Linda and I got to break plates. OPA! Saturday night, Linda & I met up with my dad & his fiancé Shirley, sister and her family at the Hereford House, a great Kansas City landmark for awesome steaks! Pics are below.













The gang at Tasso's...















At Hereford House...


We are closing out
the 24th week of pregnancy now. This week Nugg has put on 4 more ounces of weight and would be over a pound now. He is about a foot long, or the length of an ear of corn. He's sporting a lean figure right now, but he will be filling out and fattening up. His brain is growing quickly and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing branches of the respiratory 'tree' as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he pops out of the womb. His skin is still translucent and thin, but that will soon change and he plumps up.


No comments:

Post a Comment