Thursday, December 24, 2009

My name is Ebenezer.

I really can't believe that Christmas is already here! And honestly...I'm ready for it to be over. I'm hoping that next year breathes new life into my view on the holidays. I used to love Christmas and this time of year, but for the past couple of years I find myself struggling to get into the holiday spirit. The only thing I honestly enjoy about this time of year is the time spent with family... Before Linda & I got married, and when I lived on my own, I never put up a Christmas tree. When Linda & I did get married, we put up a tree the first few years, but haven't now since about 2006. I know next year will be different and I can't wait!

This past week has been a busy one. As Linda mentioned, we got Evan's room painted and his crib up. (Yes, I did call him Evan... Linda has unofficially picked out his name. That has been our favorite all along, but she said it is subject to change.) That was an all day task, but I'm satisfied with the room! We did a good job! We just need to refinish the dresser and put up a few other decorations and then Evan's room is ready for him!

And, as Linda mentioned, she was finally able to get the "scary grandma picture" hidden away. That particular painting (pictured to the left) is of my great-great-great grandmother, Mary Westlake. The painting has been handed down for generations, pictured below is a photo from 1958 of my mom and my aunt with that picture on the wall... My mom gave that to me just before she died since she knew my love for genealogy. It's got a historical significance to it...it was painted in 1846. I'm afraid to store it in our basement due to the humidity, so for the moment we have it stored in our hall closet. It will go back on the wall once we get a bigger house though, much to Linda's chagrin. Anyhow, Linda has found it creepy and does not like it...she claims it's one of those pictures that follows you around the room.

Last Friday we also had another doctors appointment. Our regular doctor is out for maternity leave, so we saw one of her partners. It's funny when you get used to one person, and then someone else steps in. Her partner was a bit bizarre, and we kinda felt like she didn't really know why we were there. She stepped into the room and just stared at us. Linda broke the ice and introduced herself. The doctor then asked us a few questions, repeated herself multiple times, listened to Evan's heartbeat on Doppler and measured Linda's belly. Everything appeared normal... We waited for 45 minutes for a brief 15 minute interaction... Our normal doctor will be back by our next appointment. However, she did give Linda the paperwork for the glucose screening, where Linda will have to go in and drink that sugary syrup stuff to test for gestational diabetes. She's planning on going in next week for that.

Right now Evan is in his 25th week of gestation! He would measure about 13 inches long from head to heel. He weighs about a pound and a half, which is about the same as the average rutabaga. He should be packing on the weight and exchanging a lean look for some baby fat. As he does, his wrinkled skin will transform and he'll look more like a newborn. He's also growing more hair...and if we were able to get a sneak peek of him, we'd be able to discern the color and texture. Linda has started to get a faint line running down the middle of her belly...called linea nigra. As Linda also mentioned before, she's intrigued by her belly button flattening out and worried that it might turn into an outtie. I have one of those weird complexes about belly buttons. Belly buttons and feet actually. I don't like people to poke my belly button or touch my feet...therefore don't expect me to. Linda tries and tries to get me to feel her belly button to no avail!

1 comment:

  1. uh oh, Evan is on our "list"! It has the same meaning as ":ohn" which was my grandfathers name and all my kids have a family name (either first or middle). :) We also like Henry, which was his middle name!

    ReplyDelete