Thursday, April 1, 2010

Another False Alarm...

As I wrote yesterday, we thought Evan was ready to come on out and meet us...but alas, he hasn't budged.

Linda called our OB yesterday morning to see if they could fit us in earlier, since we genuinely thought she was in labor. She had had a regular doctor's appointment schedule for the afternoon, but due to my work schedule I was gonna have to miss it, the only one I would've missed during the entire pregnancy. But luckily, they fit us in earlier, so I was able to go with her! Dr. Schieber performed a labor check...and nothing. No progression toward active labor. Still the same that we've been for the past two weeks. No change. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Frustration sets in. If I'm this frustrated, I can only imagine how Linda must really feel. I do know...I can tell how frustrated she is...but I think I'd be afraid to know the true scope of her irritation. Dr. Schieber said...exact quote, "These early stages of labor are the suffering before the suffering." Poor Linda. Linda's only been able to get a few hours of uninterupted sleep sporadically over the course of any given night. So she wrote out prescription for Vistaril to help Linda get a more than just a few hours of sleep here and there. She advised her to take off work... She said that going into active labor with no sleep or rest is not a fun thing. I don't imagine it is.

So I go into work yesterday. It seems like my coworkers are surprised to see me there when I come in. They ask, "No baby yet?!" or "What are you still doing here?!?". It's heartwarming that they are concerned for Linda, Evan and me. But to answer that question over and over and over again everyday, it gets a little tiresome...especially when we've been ready for several weeks for Evan to get here. It seems we can't really make any plans either. It seems we have this disclaimer hanging over our heads..."volatile contents under pressure; may explode at any time". Easter is this weekend...and Evan's original due date... Different family members are hosting different Easter dinners...I dunno if we can or can't make it to these...or if Linda will even feel like getting out and about. Our plans are just up-in-the-air at the moment.

Linda has been begging me for months to shave off my beard. I finally did yesterday in preparation for Evan...thinking he was on his way. I don't wanna give him any scratchy kisses. But I look funny now. I've had this beard now since last summer... When I was at work yesterday, one of my coworkers took notice of my clean shaven face... She said she couldn't get over how different I looked. I asked her if it was an improvement. She thought for a second and said, "Well, I think it (the beard) is a better look for you." Hmmm. All the validation I need to start growing it back. Linda hasn't ever been a fan of my beard though. But for her and Evan I might keep the clean shaven look for awhile at least.

C'mon now, Evan, this just isn't funny anymore! We are ready for you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment