Tuesday, April 6, 2010

April 7th

Tomorrow is April 7th... Lots of things happened on April 7th in years past... Among them:

...but one of the most important events to happen to mine & Linda's life happens on April 7th. Evan will be born! I'm starting to feel ill-prepared with the realization that I'm officially gonna be a dad sometime tomorrow. I'm very excited to meet my son...but my stomach does flip-flops when I start to think about it. Maybe Linda & I should have taken that birthing & parenting class we decided not to take. So many questions run through my head. Will I be a good father? How will I know what to do? Is Evan really a good name for him? How will I know when it's time to feed him? How do I change a diaper? Will I be a blubbering mess in the delivery room? Will my emotions get the best of me?

But yesterday, our doctor didn't see any further progression into active labor for Linda. She's exactly in the same spot as she was over 3 weeks ago. Since we are now past the due date, and God only knows how long she would have to go before active labor starts, our doctor discussed induction. While I'm not exactly sold on the thought of induction, I know that Linda is miserable and it was disappointing when our due date came and went and Evan wasn't here yet. From what I've read, induction is hard on the body...and might be hard on the baby. But I have to trust our doctor and modern medicine. But any faithful reader of this blog knows that I worry to no end. I just wish that Evan would have come on his own and wasn't being 'forcibly removed'. Regardless, I'm happy to meet my son and can't wait!

Linda will spend tonight in the hospital to prep for induction. She will go in this evening...and they will start some procedures... Then early tomorrow morning, they should start a Pitocin drip through her IV. From what I've read, labor could be a matter of hours to an all day event but Evan more than likely will be here sometime tomorrow. The doctor suggested that I go home and sleep in my own bed...because this is the last night I will probably be able to get a full night's rest for the next few years. But with all the thoughts flooding my mind, I probably won't be able to sleep. I am planning on being back to the hospital early in the morning...maybe around 7:00ish.

When we got home from the doctors office and we called our families... I called my dad and he excitedly answered the phone with, "Is Nugget on his way?!?!?" So funny...I hated to disappoint him. I told dad that it could be an all day event, but I know he'll be there early in the morning...maybe earlier than me!

No comments:

Post a Comment