Friday, April 16, 2010

Fatherhood...

Fatherhood is a crazy thing...and I'm loving every minute of it. I haven't updated in awhile, but as many of you know, newborn care is quite time consuming... I'm catching on to it and cherishing the moments... When Evan falls asleep in my arms. When he looks me in the eyes and studies me. The coos he makes when he's eating.

The nurses told us that they wanted both of us to have skin-to-skin time, sometimes called Kangaroo Care, with him... It helps him thrive and get to know both of our scents...and it's a great bonding moment for all of us. This is my favorite thing to do with him right now. Evan usually melts right into you... It's funny when you lay him on your chest...and he kinda looks up at you with those big sleepy eyes...

Apparently it's a big milestone for infants to be able to lift their heads...but Evan did this right out of the womb. When Dr. Schieber placed Evan on Linda...he was screaming bloody murder, but was also lifting his head. His neck muscles have continued to strengthen, and he's now able to hold up his huge head a bit longer. He does this when we are snuggling a lot...

As Linda mentioned, Truman has done great with Evan...and is now his fierce protector. This picture has become my favorite of them...and will soon be blown up, framed and hung in Evan's bedroom above his dresser/changing table. We are thinking a 20x30.


Now, I'm worried. But you all know I'm a worrier. Yesterday, all day, I noticed and wiped away goopy, sticky, eye boogers in both of his eyes. It just got worse over the course of the day. Early this morning (Saturday) when I was feeding him, it was so crusted over that I had to use a warm wet washcloth to help him open his eyes. He's eating okay (in fact at 3.5 oz. this morning), sleeping okay, doesn't have a temperature, pooping and peeing okay...but these crusties are gross and its heart breaking to see him like this. We called our pediatrician (they operate weekend hours), and told us that it sounded like he has blocked tear ducts, which is common in newborns. They told us to massage his tear ducts and wipe away the crusties with a warm washcloth...and if there wasn't any improvement by Monday to call again. I just hate seeing him like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment