Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On

Just like how Jerry Lee Lewis sang it...Evan is a mover and a shaker. It's to the point that I can even see his acrobatics through Linda's shirt. See the video below for proof!

A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I needed some answers from my job about the time off I was hoping to take when Evan makes his appearance and I finally got an answer from my boss...and they are gonna let me off for a few weeks to get adjusted to life with a newborn. I was beginning to panic. I'm glad it's resolved now and that I'll have a job to come back to. I've found that having a baby is not really all that conducive for fathers to take time off work. That's really kind of sad. In fact, I've come to find out there are a lot of things that really aren't expectant father-friendly. Seems California is the only place that is 'father-friendly' in terms of having a child. California dads, I believe, are the only ones that can really take paid time off to help care for a new addition to their family. Every where else kind of seems to have a 1950s frame of mind...meaning it feels as if fathers should be hands off during a pregnancy and newborn care...like we should not play a part in any of it. It feels like we should be the bumbling idiots...if that makes any sense. Now if I can only get the rest of that list that I mentioned in that prior post accomplished, I will be prepped for this little guys debut!

In our 32nd week of pregnancy, Evan should weigh about 3 ¾ lbs., which is the size of a large jicama. What the heck is a jicama anyway? He would be about 16.7 inches long and is taking up lots of space in Linda's uterus. However, that 16.7 inches in length is from head-to-toe, but he is now back to a curled up position due to the confines of the womb. The weight that Linda should be gaining now, half of that will go to Evan. Linda had mentioned before that our OB would actually like to see her gain some more weight...as she is on track to only gain about 20 lbs. for the entire pregnancy. Some have asked if I have gained any "sympathy weight". While I'd like to answer with a confident, "Hell NO!"...I do have to admit that I have put on a few pounds. I used to brag that I still have the same waist size as I did in high school. What can I say...I was blessed with a high metabolism. I have bought pants with a 33 inch waist since I was 17 years old, however some of my jeans are now a bit snug around the waist. Since I work for an airline, we have scales to way people's luggage...and I use those every now and then to see how much I weigh...and did so the other night. I've packed on about 5 or 6 lbs. This is disconcerting. Must lay off the sweets! Anyhow, I digress. Evan will gain a third to half of his birth weight during the next 7 weeks as he fattens up for survival outside of the womb. And since he is fattening up, his skin is now opaque, meaning the "see-through" days are gone. He now has toenails, fingernails and real hair (or at least respectable peach fuzz). His skin is becoming soft and smooth as he plumps up in preparation for birth. He should now also be in the head down position with his butt facing up. It is said that this is the most comfortable way for him in an ever-so-cramped womb, and it will make his exit easier in a few months. His days are basically spent napping now...in 20 to 40 minute intervals...that and the squirming around we caught on camera...

(For some weird reason this video is not playing...and I dunno how to fix it. I did find a way to view it though. If it does not play for you from the main page, click the title of this blog at top "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" or just click here, and it'll lead you into the individual blog post...scroll down to the bottom and press play.)


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete