Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Six Months!

Evan had his 6-month checkup with his pediatrician this morning. He was very pleased with Evan's development, both socially and physically. Evan has almost doubled his birth weight. He was born 9 lbs. 3 oz. and was 21 inches long when he burst into this crazy world on April 7th, 2010. Today he was 18 lbs. 3 oz. (just 3 ounces shy of doubling his birth weight), and he is 27 inches long. Both of these place him in the 75th percentile for weight and length. His huge noggin measures 18 inches around, three more inches in circumference than when he was born.

It's so amazing to reflect back on the past 6 months. Evan is now sitting up by himself, has cut his first tooth, is trying to figure out this whole crawling business, interacts and is curious about the world around him...laughs and squeals and is generally a happy baby. This morning our pediatrician said that he was gonna predict that once Evan is mobile, we are definitely gonna have our hands full and suggested we start baby-proofing our house now. He went on to say that from his observations and the way Evan interacted with him, he is going to be a very smart child. Not sure if he tells every parent that? I asked my dad and Linda that, and they both said he wouldn't just voluntarily offer that up if he didn't think so...

Hope he's right and takes after Linda, she's the brains behind the family. After all, Evan has got half my genes...and I wasn't that smart of a child. My dad and sister like to recant the story of me getting my knee stuck in a fence waiting in line for the "Fury of the Nile" ride at Worlds of Fun amusement park when I was eight, and required the assistance of my dad and another guy to pry my knee out... Or, running around my front yard with my eyes closed when I was about 5 years old to see what it would be like if I were blind...and ended up banging my head on the tailgate of my dad's truck...which I still have a scar on my forehead from where I had to get stitches... Or, the story of when I was in Cub Scouts, and they had someone teaching a lesson on gun safety to the den, and were taking questions from the Scouts...I raised my hand and my mom asked me what I wanted to ask, I replied, "If you shoot yourself in the eye, will it put your eye out?" I guess I really wanted to see if the movie "A Christmas Story" had any truth behind it...

Officially tomorrow Linda & I will be the parents of a half-a-year old son! Happy (half) birthday, Booger Butt!! I can't wait to get his 6 months pictures taken next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment