Friday, October 15, 2010

Scavenger Hunt & Sneak Peaks

Who knew getting photos taken would be so hectic and time consuming? Getting the finishing touches, the preparations, making sure all of us are presentable, wrestling a confused and rambunctious dog, dancing around and acting like a fool to coax our stone-faced baby to smile, etc.

Wednesday, our photographer, Kami, emailed me and asked me to send her pictures of the outfits we were gonna dress Evan in, so she could coordinate her props. I sent her pics of a few different outfits and asked for her suggestion. She said the sweater and the guitar t-shirt were great. She suggested as a finishing touch for the rock-star t-shirt was to buy some red Chuck Taylor Converse sneakers (or any canvas-style sneakers, but red ones would be perfect, that looked old school) and distressed jeans. Thinking our outfits were complete prior to this email, Linda & I made a mad dash around the KC-metro area to find red baby sneakers and distressed jeans. Linda & I live close to the Plaza...were lots of retail shops are located. I hit Baby Gap first, and found some cool jeans that were on sale! Spent $20...for jeans that were normally $45! Then came the quest for red sneakers. Baby Gap didn't have anything. I asked the clerk at Baby Gap if she had any idea were to get any. She suggested Gymboree and Hall's. I steered clear of Hall's as I didn't want to give Linda another heart attack. I went to Gymboree on the Plaza...nothing in his size. The girl at Gymboree said that was all they had... I asked if she knew anywhere else that had sneakers. She said Gymboree and Baby Gap were the only ones. Really? On the Plaza? Out of all the retail on the Plaza? I had no idea finding baby shoes was gonna be a scavenger hunt.

Linda called after I left Gymboree. I was on my way to Target to see if they had anything. She searched online and found that another Gymboree location might have some... She also said that Children's Place might have some also. She said she'd take care of if after she was off work. She normally leaves work around 5:00pm, and is home by 5:45 or 6:00. She didn't get home til close to 8:00.

After work, she headed out to Town Center Plaza (near her work)...found nothing. Although, she did find a really cool twill hat at Gymboree...perfect for the sweater outfit and family shots. She said she asked for recommendations...and someone said there was a Converse outlet at The Legends. She then trekked 30 minutes over there. Success! She found the sneakers (but since Evan was a spring/summer baby and we've hardly put shoes on him...she had no idea what size his chubby little feet are...and ended up buying size too small. I'm gonna exchange them later...). She then ran by Banana Republic and picked us up both clothes, and changing what we both were planning on wearing. Was very hectic.

Yesterday morning, we got everything going early. Got Little Man fed and dressed while we got our showers in and put together. Grabbed Truman and walked over to the Nelson-Atkins, the location of our photo session, and met Kami. Here's a few sneak peaks:


We worked so hard to get Evan to laugh and get a good gummy grin in...but all he would do was smirk. His smiles are fleeting...especially for a camera. I'm sure we looked like morons, dancing around behind Kami, making funny faces and funny noises to coax a smile from him. I worked up a sweat, but to no avail. But Kami did great and showed Linda and I few previews on her camera's review...and from what I saw, I was happy with her work!

After the family shots that included Truman, I walked him back to our condo. He's a bit socially retarded. Even though we brought cheese with us, he still was difficult to get to sit still, position and behave while we were taking pics. Truman isn't like other dogs. Kami warned me when setting up this appointment that there are squirrels on the lawn of the Nelson, and that from past sessions with her clients that included dogs...the squirrels can prove problematic. I told her that Truman has no interest in squirrels. He's a bulldog. Enough said. But Truman lacks social skills and obedience at times... So to make our session a bit easier and less stressful than dealing with a confused dog, I walked him back.

Towards the end of our session, Evan was getting grumpy, tired and pissed. We wrapped things up after about an hour or so of pics. He did great though, considering...and I can't wait to see the pics. We have to wait another two weeks though before Kami is done processing and editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment