Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Haute Couture

I'm eager for Evan's 6 month photography session this Thursday. In order for a more fun session, our photographer, Kami, suggested a few changes in outfits for Evan. I bought Evan a great outfit from Babies R Us weeks ago, for the more formal shots, the ones that will include Linda, me and Truman. She suggested an outfit change, and what is really popular amongst boys is the "rock star look". Something kinda fun for us to look back on. I thought this would be an easy task...find something edgy, hip and fun... Boy was I wrong. I've scoured stores and the internet in vain for weeks.

I finally asked for suggestions via facebook. I got lots of feedback...and one of my old coworkers suggested I go to Hall's where she works now as a manager. Hall's is a very high-end department store in Kansas City. She said in the kids section, they carry some Kingsley line of clothing, and gave me the website for them. They didn't have much merchandise on their site, but from what I learned it's for the "rock star parent"...apparently this line of clothing was what Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie dressed their daughter, Shiloh in for pictures that made the cover of People Magazine... This clothing line is also the choice of other celebrity parents like Gwen Stefani, Johnny Depp and Seal. I should have known it was gonna be expensive.

I headed over to Hall's at Crown Center, strapped Evan in the BabyBjorn, and found their selection. Picked out a really cool hoodie, jeans and onesie t-shirt... These clothes were so awesome...stuff I'd buy for myself, that is if I actually bought clothes anymore for myself! I should've looked at the price tag... When I checked out, the clerk asked me, "Are you ready for this total? $212.76, please." I felt myself get light-headed and my knees buckle. I can't remember the last time I spent over $100-$150 on myself in one setting...it's been years! But, not wanting to look like someone who lives on a budget and normally shops at Target, and asking the clerk to put the clothes back, I whipped out my credit card like a pro. I told myself it was for Evan...and it was for posterities sake. For him being immortalized in some awesome pictures that would look like a print ad for a Baby GQ, if there were ever such a thing.

Buyer's remorse set in. I figured I could do the cheapskate route...and keep the tags on, hidden inside the clothes, then return them after the session. When I got home, I debated on calling Linda at work. I wondered if she'd notice the $212.76 charge... However, my conscious got the best of me and I called Linda. I told her I found some great clothes at Hall's. I could hear her swallow hard over the phone when I uttered the name "Hall's". The first thing she asked, "How much did you spend"? "About $200," I replied, hoping she'd take it in stride. I then quickly told her about my hiding-the-tags-and-return scheme. She didn't like that idea. When she got home, she asked what would we do if he spit up on the clothes or had a blow out while wearing them? It does seem pretty absurd to pay $89.00 for a pair of baby jeans, $69.00 for a hoodie and $40.00 for a onesie that he'll outgrow within a matter of weeks. In comparison, the most expensive pair of jeans I currently own is a pair I bought at Banana Republic a few years ago that cost maybe $70 or $80...and I still wear them...so I've gotten my money out of them.

So today, I ventured out again. I had to go to Target for more diapers, formula and baby food, and ran by the clothing section... I looked high and low and finally found a cool 3 piece rocker-star themed outfit, not as cool as the Kingsley stuff, but okay, I guess...and for a much reasonable price - $15.00. Then just to make sure all my options had been explored, I went over to Oak Park Mall and looked through Baby Gap, Crazy 8, and JC Penney. Found nothing at Baby Gap or Crazy 8, they had been picked over pretty well from some huge sale. JC Penney was still having a huge 50% off sale, I think for Columbus Day. They still had lots of stuff in stock and I found another rock star outfit for only $10.00! Still not Kingsley...these are Carter's outfits, but I know he'll look good...

Linda said last night, "When and if we ever win the Powerball jackpot, then by all means, Evan can dress in couture outfits. Until then, lets stick with Target and Babies R Us stuff."

Tomorrow with my head hung low and my tail between my legs, I am going back to Hall's and returning the Kingsley things and getting my $212.76 back. Dammit.

No comments:

Post a Comment