Friday, October 8, 2010

Rough Start

I didn't go to bed last night until about 1:00am. When Linda went to bed, hours earlier, I was in the middle of a game I bought from the iTunes App Store, "Oregon Trail" for the iPhone. I had felt a bit nostalgic when I saw it in the App Store...and remembered playing this game at school when I was in the 4th grade...way back in 1986. Not to mention, I'm a sucker for classic 1980s arcade video games on my phone... I also have Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, Frogger and Galaga...and am hoping someone makes a Donkey Kong, Q*Bert, and Pitfall! apps... Well, in part of the Oregon Trail game you encounter George Donner, of the ill-fated "Donner Party" that got stranded in the mountains during their journey on the Oregon Trail in 1846, and resorted to cannibalism to survive.

Me being the dork that I am, my interest was peeked to learn more about the Donner Party, and I read the Wikipedia article about them after I completed my game (successfully). That article then led to a movie article about this story. Guess there was a movie made about this story just last year, and I then found it on Netflix, available for instant viewing streamed to the iPad. So I started watching it, and only got about halfway through when I realized the time and figured I needed to go to bed and would finish the movie later.

I should've been smarter...I'm still a novice at this whole parenting thing, but should have known a late night for me means little sleep, if any, while caring for a 6 month old. Evan really has gotten us spoiled...he's a great sleeper, that is, until this past week when he has been waking up once or twice in the middle of the night. So for the past week, we've been running on broken sleep...usually in 4 hour increments. When I turned in last night, I hoped he would sleep through the night like he used to, so I could catch up on the sleep I had deprived myself from... I knew it the back of my mind, I had screwed myself.

And wouldn't you figure...he woke at 4:00am. Weird thing was he wasn't crying...he sounded like he was playing. Letting out his happy squeals and giggles. Don't know what was so funny and intriguing to him at 4:00am in a dark bedroom. I laid there in bed with the baby monitor on, listening, hoping that he would fall back to sleep on his own. But nope. He was having a grand ole time in there. I didn't want to turn the baby monitor down or off, so at 4:30, I went in to check on him. Picked him up, changed his diaper and rocked him for about 30 minutes, but he was still wide awake and wanting to play. I laid him back down and figured he'd drift off if I put on his mobile. This worked, only for a few minutes.

He started fussing, and Linda then got up and checked on him...gave him a bottle, then started to get ready for her day. When she got up, I turned down the baby monitor to no volume and fell back to sleep. At this point I had only had about three to 3½ hours of sleep...and I drifted back off to sleep.

A few hours later, about 7:45 this morning, I awake to Linda rushing into our bedroom, saying in a panicked tone, "Wake up! Come quick!!" I went from a deep, peaceful sleep to sheer panic within a matter of seconds. "What was it?", "Was he hurt?", "Was he breathing?" "Is he blue?", "Is he not responding?", my heart felt like it was gonna beat out of my chest, my fear of SIDS and Evan's preference of sleeping on his belly while face-planted has always scared the crap out of me...all these thoughts flooded my mind in those few seconds. But nope, he was okay...just was ready to get up, but was pissed because his cries had gone unheard because I had turned the volume on his baby monitor all the way down and failed to tell Linda this when she got up a few hours earlier. Linda had left, but only came back because she forgot her jacket and heard Evan screaming.

Ugh... But as I'm typing this out, Little Man is happily playing in his exersaucer, laughing and squealing...and I'm trying to down a whole pot of coffee. Caffeine is my best friend today. Nothing like starting your day like that! But it really gets the blood flowing. I don't recommend waking up like that though...makes a rough start to your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment