Monday, January 25, 2010

Mount St. Baby Mama

Saturday night/Sunday morning I woke with the horrible feeling of acid reflux encroaching all the way up my throat to the back of my mouth. To combat the problem, I tried sitting up a little bit more in bed. I woke up two hours later with a very sore back so I laid back down only to wake up again in two hours with the acid problem. In frustration, I got out of bed and went into Evan's room and sat in the new glider my parents bought Brian and I for Christmas and was able to doze off for a little while.

We've mentioned my "pillow fort" in previous posts. The original pillow fort consisted of three king-size pillows, two of which were the memory foam, and three regular size pillows. Each night I would position the two memory foam pillows length-wise on the bed and side by side. I would lay on top of the two memory foam pillows, but kind of slide in between them, using two of the regular pillows to prop up my legs. I could lay on my side without my hip hurting if I stayed on the memory foam. Plus, the other pillow would prop me up so I didn't roll over in the night. I would use the regular king-size pillow as a pillow, but since I was on top of the memory foam pillows, I put a regular size pillow underneath my king-size pillow to prop it up. It's definitely a process. But it worked.

Last night, I had to abandon the fort concept and go with a pillow mountain. I have confiscated all un-used pillows in the house - except for the ones on the couch. All three king-size pillows, and three regular size pillows are stacked in a manner that will allow me to "recline" in bed and still support my back. The other three regular size pillows are stacked so that I can drape my legs over them. It's the poor-mama's version of that old person bed that folds up. And it worked! Last night I was able to sleep for 6 straight hours! I woke up not because I was uncomfortable, but because I had to go to the bathroom.

It works and that's all I care about, although I have to admit that when I left this morning my big pile of pillows looked absolutely ridiculous next to Brian and his very modest one pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment