Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Well...it's not exactly a piece of crap...

...but close. My car has decided to be temperamental. Yesterday, I was leaving for work and got in my car, turned the key...and nothing. The radio came on, but the engine wouldn't even turn. Just the radio came on. I tried again. Nothing. And tried again a few more times. And nothing. Crap!

Luckily, I try to give myself enough time to get to work (it usually takes me about 25-30 minutes) and I leave about 1 ½ hours before I need to be there. This is mainly due to the fact that I work at the airport and have to park about 2 miles away from the terminal in the employee lot and are shuttled over to the terminal. Since the employee shuttle schedule isn't all that reliable, I choose to leave for work early. Fortunately, Linda had left work early - she went to Houston last night for a work thing. Thankfully, due to construction on I-435, I called her in enough time for her to divert back home to pick me up and we rode together to the airport. But it sucks having one car. And fortunately for me, my brother-in-law, Jeff, is an expert in repairing cars. He owns his own business in Kearney, fixing and repairing cars...and he's nice enough to offer me a 'family discount'. It also helps that I give him some of my buddy passes for free travel...so the repair won't cost me anything. My car, a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am, is 7 years old and out of the extended warranty, so this repair, according to Jeff, is probably pretty costly. Funny thing is, after Jeff got my car towed to his shop...it worked fine. Go figure! He thinks there's something wrong with the computer system. He said he might have it figured out and ready by this Wednesday or Thursday. So until then, we have to depend on one car. Linda's flying back from Houston tonight around 6:30...however I'm off work at 8:00. Then tomorrow, I'll have to take her to work. Then when I have to get to work, I'll have to go pick her up, she'll spend her lunch break driving me up to the airport...and then go back to her work. Then she'll have to come get me tomorrow night when I'm off work. Hopefully it'll just be one day of juggling, since I have Thursdays and Fridays off...but it's still a pain in the ass.

Linda & I got my car paid off a few years ago...and I'd like to keep that car for as long as we can, at least until we get her car paid off. That'll be a few more years though. My car isn't the most ideal "family" car though...it's a two-door. All my friends who have kids have told me that will change very soon and I will need a four-door. Linda has a crossover SUV though...a Dodge Caliber...so we have the convenience of a four-door car.

I just hope we don't have these problems after Nugg arrives! I know we should probably invest in getting me a new car...but it's nice only having one car payment for the moment.

So we are now in our 19th week!! Man, we're almost halfway through this pregnancy! Nugg weighs about 8 ½ ounces and is about 6 inches measured from crown-to-rump (head-to-bottom), which is about the size of a large heirloom tomato. Some of these grocery store produce analogies baffle me. I've never heard of heirloom tomatoes. When I was at HyVee last week, I checked the produce section to get an idea, but found nothing of the sort. Anyhow, the kidneys continue to make urine and Nugg's scalp is sprouting more hair. A waxy protective coating, vernix caseosa is forming on the skin to protect Nugg from pickling in the amniotic fluid. Nugg's sensory development is exploding! The brain is designating specialized areas for smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch. It's apparent that Nugg can hear now too! Linda said that as she was watching last Sunday's Chiefs game, she was screaming at the TV and Nugg was kicking up a storm. Yesterday, as she was driving us to the airport and cursing at the idiot jackass drivers (Linda suffers from road rage a bit), Nugg was also kicking up a bit. I have reminded her that she's got little ears listening to her now.

I'm anxious for our next doctors appointment to get here...only a 1 ½ weeks now until we find out if we are having a son or a daughter! It seems like that's the topic of debate. Seems like everyday at work, my coworkers ask me if I know yet. In fact, I had one coworker tell me she was waiting on pins and needles in anticipation. Her and I aren't even that close, but she said the whole station was eager to find out what we are having. That seems funny to me for some reason...especially given that her and I aren't that close. But I welcome the eagerness of my colleagues...just shows you how much encouragement and well-wishes you get from everyone!

1 comment:

  1. UG the same thing happened to me when I was pregnant with my ds. It would happen randomly, and then when we;d take it in, they look at me and say, well, it works nothings wrong, that'll be $85. WHAT!!?? Like I WANT to be inconvienced FOUR TIMES! I like drama!! FINALLY they figured out it was an ignition issue and 5 months later some 89 year old man hit me and totalled the car. 3 days after we had sent in the payoff check. I was in a cast for 6 months and had surgery on my wrist. OH yeah, my son was 4 months old. PAIN! I feel you. I hate cars and have inherited my families bad luck with them. I hope you issue will be solved soon!!

    ReplyDelete