Saturday, January 22, 2011

Quiet time

7 am on a Saturday morning. Before Evan, I'd still be laying in bed asleep or just starting to wake up and listening to Truman snore away. Today, I'm on my second cup of coffee listening to Evan start to rouse through the monitor. He usually wakes up happy and I love listening to him "sing" in the monitor as he thinks about getting up for the day and plays with his Elmo and Cookie Monster toys.

I really enjoy this time. I turn on the TV, complete the daily Sudoku challenge (finished in the top 50 today!) and read the morning headlines. Working full time and then being the "stay-at-home-Mom" on the weekend makes me appreciate and cherish quiet time to myself. During the week, the commute to and from when I can listen to whatever music suits my mood or just be alone in my thoughts is entirely too short some days. I admit, sometimes I will take a longer route home just to make sure I clear my head, sing along with a couple of songs from the Glee soundtrack, pretending I am a good enough singer to be on the cast. It's amazingly therapeutic.

Like it is for most people, life in the Corporate world can be frustrating and stressful. Many of my colleagues joked this week that we got "1/2 days" because we left at 5 or 5:30 due to some pretty impressive snow showers. Quiet time helps me get over my frustrations and stress so I can leave them at the office and not bring them home. I don't get to spend nearly as much time with Brian and E as I'd like to, so I do my best to not taint that time by bringing the office home with me.

But little boy is calling now at 7:30. He wants to eat and start his day. After my little bit of quiet time, I'm ready to start it, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment