Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Gonna Have To Suck It Up

Anyone who knows me, knows my disgust and the pure hatred I hold for winter, cold weather and, more than anything, snow and ice. Over the course of the past couple days, the Kansas City area got 4.8 inches of snow. While this isn't the snowpocalypse the media makes it out to be, it still pisses me off. It isn't anything like the Christmas Blizzard of 2009 (when Linda was pregnant with Evan), when we got 9 inches of the white shit Christmas Eve into Christmas Day. Yes, it's winter. Yes, it's January. Yes, it's Missouri... I can't change it, but I can't help but be annoyed by it. I grew up here, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. But...that is gonna have to change, I know, for the sake of Evan. I figure this winter is my last winter that I have to piss and moan about it. Now that the snow is gone, we have to deal with bitterly frigid temperatures and wind chills. Today, the wind chill is supposed to be -10°F. Blegh.

View from our front porch this morning

Growing up, though, it didn't bother me. But working in the travel industry as I do, and have for the past almost 13 years has really made me see how much snow and ice is a pain in the ass...and really screws up things. Once November hits, I wish we could hibernate...or better yet just spend the winters in Caribbean or Hawaii.

As a kid though, I loved playing in the snow. It's always more fun as a kid. Get the day off school, hang out with your friends, go sledding, build snowmen, snowball fights, hot chocolate, watch movies... Even though when Evan gets old enough, I'm gonna suck it up and not show my pure loathing of this crap to Evan. He deserves to have fun like I did when I was a kid... But, Linda will hear all about it. I'll have to vent to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment