Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Wow, where've I been?

Answer - Taking care of a fussy, teething, (and as of today - more on that later) sick baby!

I just realized that it's almost been an entire month since I wrote and entry... But, it seems that I don't have lots of time to spare with Evan starting to become his own little person. And by the time I do after Evan goes to bed...my mind is complete mush and I'm too tired to really put a sentence together... So I'm rambling tonight. Mindless drivel.

At any rate, I think we (or maybe just Linda) may have wrote before that Evan is now rolling over. He started doing this at the end of June/first of July...and now he's a master at it! I can't leave him for a few moments without him rolling over onto his belly, whether he is in his play gym or his crib. I've been so nervous about it when he sleeps... He now prefers to sleep on his stomach...and of course all the experts say this increases the risk of SIDS. It freaks me out... When we first brought Evan home from the hospital, we put him on a wedge...but he wiggles so much in his sleep, he would just maneuver his way outta it. He can't stand to be swaddled, he has to have his arms and legs free to flail about... Each night before I go to bed I peak in on him to make sure he's okay and not face planted into his mattress. Luckily he knows to move his head to the side if he sleeps on his tummy. Evan is now working on rolling back over from his tummy to his back. He's kind of done it a couple times, but not worth really saying he's accomplished it.

His 4 month checkup was last Wednesday. He weighed 16 lbs. 1 oz., was 25¼ inches long, and his head measures 44½ cm (just a tad over 17½ inches). Our pediatrician was impressed with the fact that Evan is already bearing weight on his legs and likes to attempt to stand (with support, obviously). He mentioned that we may have an early walker.

Evan hasn't quite figured out though how to crawl. He's trying...really is... Everyday I notice he's wanting to figure it out... He gets his legs going and underneath him...and his butt up in the air, but he needs to work on his upper body strength. Although, today I noticed that he's trying to tuck his arms underneath him in an attempt to lift up his upper body. But then he gets pissed and lays flat on his belly and screams in frustration.

I mentioned to our pediatrician that Evan is now waking up in the middle of the night. Evan really had us spoiled. Ever since he was about 3 weeks old, he has slept through the night... And I mean like 7 to 8 hours, sometimes 10 to 12 too! But over the course of the past couple weeks, he has almost woken up every night, anywhere between 11:00pm to 5:00am. Our doctor confirmed that Evan is indeed teething, but didn't think he'd actually cut any teeth for at least a month or more...so this could be the culprit. He also said that he maybe gearing up for another growth spurt and his body isn't getting enough calories to carry him through the night. Therefore, he gave us the green light to start solids. The thing I love about our pediatrician is that he is not controlling, great at giving advice, and lets you raise your own child. He told me that there are 'guidelines' that are hotly debated about how to introduce solids to him...veggies before fruits, or fruits before veggies? Dark greens before yellow colored veggies? I honestly had not heard of any of these guidelines...and he told me that there was really nothing to support one or the other and told me to do what I felt was best for Evan. After his appointment I went to Target and picked up some baby food sweet peas, carrots, peaches and bananas. But...with that said, I got LOTS of unsolicited advice when I posted on my facebook that I was gonna try Evan on solids... Not that I mind tips here and there, it is appreciated. But wow, a little overkill! So, I heeded their advice and started him with sweet peas that first night. See below for the video:




He loved the sweet peas! We moved on to carrots a few days later and he seemed to like those as well. Not sure if he likes the green beans that I bought the other day though for him...

And as far as Evan being sick...dunno what exactly hit him. Last night he did actually sleep through the night. I got up at about 7:00 this morning and got Truman taken care of, coffee made and Evan's bottle started. At 8:00, Evan started rousing and I went into to get him up and change his diaper. He seemed really happy (lately in the morning, since he's been waking up in the middle of the night and this whole teething stuff) he has been a pissy-pants in the morning. He downed his bottle (which is also a rarity these days...he's turned into something of a grazer)...all 8 oz. of it... As soon as he finished his last swallow, it all...and I mean ALL...came back up. Projectile vomit! It shot straight out of his mouth and nose, all over him, me and the couch...nearly missed Truman. It soaked me through and through! I hadn't put on a shirt yet, but the puke soaked through my shorts and underwear! It was really like this scene from "The Exorcist" (although Evan wasn't this demonic...but there was a lot more puke). Evan hasn't been sick at all, thankfully, and I figured this was a call that I need to make to the doctor. The nurse called me back and said it sounded like a lot of other phone calls she's gotten...some kind of stomach bug going around with projectile vomiting and diarrhea to boot. Luckily no diarrhea for Evan (yet...knock on wood)... So Evan's diet all day today has been Pedialyte, until 4:00pm when I was instructed I could try another formula bottle with him. He kept that down...and I tried him with some bananas (per the nurses instruction...no veggies, only fruit) and he ate pretty much the entire bowl. Poor kid. Hopefully this puking thing was just a rare occurance and he really isn't sick...he seemed fine otherwise. No fever, acted okay, until he got pissed when I would only give him Pedialyte. Maybe it's just another symptom of teething?? Probably not. I don't want to wish anything to go quickly with Evan, but I'll be really happy when we are over this teething crap!

No comments:

Post a Comment