Thursday, July 15, 2010

Things I can't live without

Coffee. If a car can't run without gasoline or alternative fuel, I can't run without caffeine. Some days require "higher" octane than others. And by higher octane, I mean I need a large vanilla latte from Latte Land with two extra shots in it.

A swing. The swing is Evan's most favorite place to be - except for the little dresser-top changing pad that we have for him, that's his happy place. We have two. The big one in our living room and a travel-sized item (which really isn't that compact). Some folks say they need a bouncy chair. I think its probably either or. We don't have one, but Evan loves sitting in the one at Aunt Steph and John's house.

Changing Table. We didn't buy a stand alone changing table. We didn't have room. What we did buy was a three-drawer dresser with a little side door. The side door area has two shelves and is great for storing diapers, wipes, butt lotion, etc. For the top of the dresser, we bought a changing pad that actually attaches to the back of the dresser so you don't have to worry about your baby sliding off with the pad. This is the greatest thing in the world. When Evan is red-hot, raging mad, we will often take him into his room and lay him down on the changing pad. 60 percent of the time, it works every time*.

A Boppy. I'm not breast feeding, but about one or two weeks after Evan was born, I was sitting in the rocking chair in his room. The closet door was open behind the chair, so I was hitting it as I rocked back. I reached behind with my left arm to try and pull it closed. SNAP. Something in my shoulder popped and, as a result, holding Evan for extended periods of time makes my whole arm burn in pain. This sucks, because when I feed him, I hold him in my left arm and the bottle with my right one. I can't switch. I've tried. It's like trying to write left-handed. It's just awkward. So, I grab that boppy and stretch Evan out across that on my lap and we can make it work.

Wipe warmer. I was on team "This has to be the single biggest waste of money in the entire world" pre-Evan. But, before we got the wipe warmer, he would SCREAM every time we changed his diaper. Now, the changing pad is his "happy place." I'm not saying spend any money on it, but put it on the registry. It's one of those things that people will be happy to buy for you and babies seem to prefer warm wipes as opposed to cold wet wipes -- wouldn't we all?

Extras. It is definitely a good idea to have at least two full sets of bedding (mattress pad and sheets) and a couple of changing pad covers. Babies - especially my baby - like to wait for the 2 second window of opportunity when the old diaper is removed and the new one isn't quite covering them yet to let loose.


*Did you get the Anchorman reference? Possibly the greatest comedy movie EVER. Evan will start "talking" to me and I will tell him "You know I don't speak Spanish! English please!" or, "What? What's that you say? You pooped in the fridge and ate a whole wheel of cheese?"

Parents: What are some of the things you can't live without? I'm sure my preggo friends and family would love to hear some extra perspective.

3 comments:

  1. Definitely coffee. Baby wipes. We have three separate containers of them around the house and use them to clean almost everything. Burp cloths. I usually have three within reach, lol. My workout DVDs - seriously. It helps me maintain my sanity, burns off frustration, calories, and the baby weight, and the girls (ages 3.5, 2, and 3 mos) LOVE to watch me. And I don't have to leave home to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I'm from the April Birth Board on Babycenter, in case you were wondering how you know me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda,
    So adorable...I'm sorry I missed you but glad the girls hung out with you. xoxoxox Stachia

    ReplyDelete